Sunday, April 25, 2010

Trial or Travel Sized Items

Did you know that you can often obtain trial size items for FREE or better?!  There are several products that have trial-sized (or travel-sized) versions that you can you use coupons on!  You will need to read the size restrictions on the coupons, but many times there will not be any size restrictions meaning they are fair-game to use on travel size items!!  Wahoo!

I find that Target has the biggest travel size section, Walgreens has NONE (sometimes the trial size products are just intermingled with the regular products), and CVS and Cub Foods have some.  Your mileage may vary (YMMV), so take a look at your favorite store (or several stores) the next time you shop.

Some examples:
  • Renu Contact Lens Solution - I have got many, many bottles of Renu contact solution for free (or very inexpensively) with coupons that they quite frequently put out.  In fact, you can get a $2.00 coupon right here!  Target seems to be jacking the price of the trial-size version, but even with the price increase, you can get a very good deal on a nice sized bottle for your purse, airline carry-on, or work desk drawer.
  • Deodorant - I have a nice stockpile of travel sized deodorant that I have gotten for free after coupons.  In fact, in just this past week's paper, you can get a $1.00 off any Dove deodorant or body mist.  I know that they have a couple of Dove varieties of Target, so clip this coupon and bring the next time you go for FREE deodorant.  There is also a couple of Degree coupons that may score you free items as well! The small sizes are handy to bring on a weekend getaway or a couple in your airline bag.
  • Band-Aids - I have been able to get a purse-sized box of various sized bandaids.  With a toddler in tow, you never know when there will be an "owiee" to take care of.  Also nice to throw in your glove box in the car.
  • Toilet Paper - yes, it's true!  A year or so back, they had this small roll of toilet paper in the trial size section!  I guess you could bring it camping?  It's still sitting in my cabinet.  Hrrmmm....
  • Feminine Products - I am pretty sure that I don't need to buy any feminine products for a good couple of years. Kotex, for example, is very generous with their $1 off any product.  Use these for free pantyliners and the like.
  • Baby Wipes - I think I have gotten some free packages of baby wipes in the travel section after coupnons.  Again, handy for the diaper bag or your purse on those quick-trips around the neighborhood on your errands.
  • Baby Shampoo - Get a travel-size bottle of Johnson & Johnson's baby shampoo for free when combining with a coupon!  Make sure it does not exclude trial sizes.
  • Laundry Detergent - Tide often releases $1 off any Tide coupons.  Well, I will be the first to admit that I don't often buy a regular bottle of Tide because I usually buy the inexpensive stuff like Purex, but you can get the single-use packets of Tide in the travel section and using a $1 off coupon is perfectly valid!  I save these for my 2-year-old's daycare clothing; I don't know HOW on earth he gets SO dirty in just one day!
Please note, that sometimes the coupon will "beep" at the register saying "Item not found" or "Invalid Item".  You should be able to prove to the cashier or customer service lead that you are buying the product listed on the coupon and there are so size restrictions on the coupon.  This has happened to me before and they always end up taking the coupon.  You are not "cheating" or doing anything wrong; you are buying a product that is listed on the coupon and utilizing the coupon that the manufacturer promotes.

Let me know what free items you score in the travel/trial section using coupons!

No comments: